The CAUDIT Enterprise Architecture Commons for Higher Education is a repository of standardised reference architectures that describe the structure of higher education institutions.
The models are the result of work with fifteen Australian and New Zealand universities over seven years, and provide a generalised view of how universities are organised and the information they use.
These resources can be used in a variety of ways, such as a starter kit to accelerate an institution’s business and data architecture, a reference point to explore commonalities and differentiators for the institution, and a communication tool to engage stakeholders.
The Architecture Commons will help CAUDIT and CHEITA members to:
- increase the value and efficiency of their architecture teams
- facilitate the exchange of architectural knowledge and good practice in the sector
- support interoperability and collaboration between member organisations and
- improve engagement with industry in major projects and initiatives
- The Architecture Commons will be reviewed and updated on a regular basis by the CAUDIT Enterprise Architecture Community of Practice.
CAUDIT and CHEITA Member organisations are welcome to contribute to the development and improvement of the Architecture Commons.
The Higher Education Reference Architecture
Business Reference Model
The reference models published are provided in formats that will allow them to be loaded into common modelling and repository tools.
The higher education Business Reference Model describes a standard set of business architecture elements relevant to higher education. It can be used by business stakeholders, enterprise architects and technology strategists to discuss the effectiveness of the organisation, its needs and challenges.
The poster summarises the Business Reference Model. It shows value chains for higher education, and the business capabilities that enable them. V1.0.3
The catalogue lists and describes the business capabilities identified in the Business Reference Model. V1.0.1
Data Reference Model
The Higher Education Data Reference Model describes a standard set of data architecture elements relevant to higher education. It provides a common language for business stakeholders, enterprise architects and technology strategists to communicate clearly.
The poster summarises the Data Reference Model. It defines the primary data entities used in higher education, grouped into topics. V1.0.3
The catalogue lists and describes the data entities defined by the Data Reference Model. V1.0.1
License and Usage
The higher education Business and Data Reference Models have been developed by FromHereOn http://www.fromhereon.com/ and Enterprise Architects http://enterprisearchitects.com/ – licensed to CAUDIT for use by its members.
The Architecture Commons is available free of charge to all CAUDIT members under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License. Via CAUDIT, they are also available to CHEITA member organisations via CAUDIT on the same basis.
You are free to reproduce, customise, and share, in whole or part, the artefacts available from CAUDIT under this licence.
By downloading this material you are agreeing:
- to make any modifications available for re-inclusion in the CAUDIT Architecture Commons
- to attribute CAUDIT and Enterprise Architects in any material produced from these artefacts
- to share the material published here, or any derivatives you produce, under the same conditions